- Climate chamber: 16 m² indoor climate chamber adjacent to a chilled outdoor climate chamber. We have used these to test passive cooling systems (phase change, thermal mass), construction U-value measurements, measuring glazing condensation risk, data-driven controls development, etc.
- Emission exposure chamber with activated carbon filter ventilation/recirculation.
- Microbiology laboratory including incubation equipment, microscopes and fume hoods.
- Building services laboratory fitted with an experimentation/teaching air-handling-unit and hydronic heating system.
- We also share access to the mechanical workshops and Makerspace at the faculty.
We have experience with many numerical modelling applications, including.:
- Building physics: WUFI (pro, bio), Therm, U-calc, Window (LBL), Heat3
- Computational fluid dynamics: Star CCM+.
- Generic system numerical modelling tools: EES, Matlab Simulink.
- Daylighting: DaySim, Radiance (Integrated in IDA-ICE), VELUX Daylight Visualizer, and own code
- Renewable energy: PVsyst, RETscreen, and models integrated in…
- Advanced building energy modelling: IDA-ICE, EnergyPlus
- Optimization with GenOpt (single-objective optimization) or MOBO (multi-objective optimization), and own code (EpXL).
- Development and and application of low-order models for building energy modelling (e.g. SIMIEN, TEK-sjekk), and whole neighbourhoods (ZENsim)
- BIM applications including Revit (incl. Dynamo scripting) with MagiCAD, OneClick LCA, Solibri, SketchUp
- Machine learning / symbolic regression: Eureqa, TensorFlow
- Statistics: SPSS, R
We have a strong conviction focus on empirical work
- Airborne pollutants: Particle/aerosol counters (Lasair, P-trak, AeroTrak, DustTrak, LAS-X, also experimental Aurduino-controlled counters), gas monitors (TVOC, NOx, CO, CO2 , Sarad RTM & Canary radon meters, Lumasense 12-channel photoacoustic multigas/tracer gas monitor), BM Dustdetector for surfaces, Contact plate aspirators (SAS Super, Aquaria Microflow). Also Collaboration With NILU and UiO for more advanced GC/MS analyses.
- Biometrics/personal exposure: SidePak Personal Aerosol Monitor, Niox Mino Airway Inflammation Monitor, Shimmer GSR sweat & activity loggers, 24-thermocouple suit.
- Microbiological: Spore counters.
- Multipurpose loggers: INTAB PC-loggers, Arduino-microcontrollers for special monitoring studies, GPS-logging
- Thermal: (thermocouples, PMV-parameters, globe, MRT and radiation asymmetry), thermography cameras, IR thermometers (ExTec, Thermopoint, Elma).
- Temperature & humidity: Digitron RH/temp logger, Brüel & Kjær chilled-mirror hygrometer, Almemo psychrometer, and numerous TinyTag combined temp/RH loggers
- Acoustics: Handheld sound level meters (Brüel & Kjær, Cirrus, Elma)
- Actinic: Lux meter, REFO 3-angle reflectometer.
- Airflow: Anemometers (Swema bidirectional or omnidirectional hot wire with loggers), and balometers (VelociCalc, Accubalance, Kimo, Alnor), Prandtl tubes, in-duct flow-cross, Minessota blower door, Flow visualization (Smoke generation).
- Fluid flow: Greyline Portaflowm ultrasonic, Tour Anderson cumpeterized balancing instrument
- Digital manometers: DPM, Swema 3000
- Electrical power: 3-phase net analyzers (Chauvin Arnoux, Fluke and Hoiki), handheld single-phase meters, and plug-in end-use energy loggers.