Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research (NIBR) at OsloMet –
Oslo Metropolitan University
Phone: +47 95 93 72 70
Aadne Aasland’s research interests include themes such as social welfare, migration, ethnicity, and diversity, with a special focus on Ukraine, Russia, and the Baltic countries. He has worked on local government and local democracy in Ukraine since 2008, and was the leader of the ARDU project (Accommodation of Regional Diversity in Ukraine) in the 2018-2021 period. Aadne has also conducted research on migration and integration in Norway and currently works on a project on the reception of Ukrainian refugees in Norway. He is one of the initiators and a member of the Steering Group of UKRAINETT.
Local democracy, social cohesion, sociological surveys, ethnopolitics.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS ON UKRAINE
- Aasland, Aadne and Sabine Kropp (eds.) (2021), The Accommodation of Regional and Ethno-cultural Diversity in Ukraine, Palgrave (co-author of 3 chapters)
- Aasland, Aadne & Oleksii Lyska (2020). «Signs of Progress: Local Democracy Developments in Ukrainian Cities». In Shelest H. & M. Rabinovych. Decentralization, Regional Diversity, and Conflict. The Case of Ukraine. Springer International Publishing.
- Aasland, Aadne 2018. Mot økt folkelig innflytelse? Desentralisering og lokaldemokrati i Ukraina. (Towards greater popular participation? Decentralization and local democracy in Ukraine), Nordisk Østforum, volume 32, pp. 174-194, 2018. (in Norwegian)
- Accommodation of Regional Diversity in Ukraine (ARDU) (2018-2021). The Research Council of Norway.
- Ukrainian refugees – experiences from the first phase in Norway (May – Sept 2022). The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration and The Directorate of Diversity and Immigration.